Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Traditions....

It's Tuesday morning, and I am at the office trying to wake up. I am sooo tired. It has been a long, albeit fun, Christmas holiday weekend, and now comes New Year's, which will be a bit more relaxing, I hope. My plan for New Year's Eve is to go out to dinner with the family, and then wait for the New Year at home sweet home. The Champagne is cooling in the wine frig, and the grapes have been bought. You ask what is the significance of grapes? Well, Spanish people have a tradition of welcoming the New Year by eating 12 grapes, one for each new month of the coming year for health, well-being and good fortune. I think familial traditions are important to keep, because it keeps one grounded of who we are and where we came from. Personally, I love keeping both my Cuban and Spanish traditions…Cuban on mother's side, and Spanish on my dad's. I think some immigrants come to this country and sadly do either of two things: completely reject the old traditions of their country, or embrace them exclusively. As a Cuban American, I am proud to say that I keep the traditions of my beloved adopted country (the USA), but I also continue to embrace the traditions of my ancestors. It's both fun and grounding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment